Blitz mobile registration exercise set to start soon

Kazembe Kazembe

Zim Now Writer

The Civil Registry Department will soon launch at blitz mobile registration exercise to ensure everyone without an identity document acquires one, enabling them to register to vote.

This will also help those who lost their IDs to replace them.

Zimbabwe is set to hold harmonised elections this year.

This was disclosed in Home Affairs and Cultural Heritage Minister, Kazembe Kazembe’s ministerial statement delivered in the National Assembly on Thursday.

He said: “Preparations are underway to conduct a mop-up national mobile registration exercise before the general elections.

“This is an opportunity that will be given to those who failed to obtain or replace their identity documents during the initial exercise,” he said.

The minister also said that the dates of the exercise will be made public soon, adding, “The national mobile registration exercise, which no doubt gave citizens across the country easy access to documents, dovetails with the national thrust of leaving no one and no place behind as we march towards the attainment of our national Vision 2030.”

A similar exercise was held between April and September last year, with the department issuing 3 203 389 documents for free, comprising 1 804 256 birth certificates,1 345 719 national identity documents and 53 414 death certificates.

The minister said the forthcoming exercise will be done at no cost to individuals.

Leave Comments

Top