Heavy rains destroy houses in Matabeleland

Floods (file picture)

Zim Now Writer

Several houses were destroyed, leaving scores of families homeless following heavy rains that pounded Gwanda, Bubi and Kamativi.

The Department of Civil Protection says it is on the ground mobilizing tents for temporary shelter and food to ensure the safety of the affected families.

There are other parts of the country that have recorded damage, including Gokwe and other areas in the 10 provinces of the country.

The Meteorological Services Department had forecast that the eastern and southern parts of the country would receive in excess of 50mm of rainfall between Wednesday last week and February 15.

The MSD warned of flooding of roads and settlements, roof damage, loose debris, fallen trees and damage to crops, homes and key infrastructure.

Department of Civil Protection director Nathan Nkomo said they are mobilising tents and grains for the affected families but his department needed more resources to ensure they attend to more disasters which are likely to occur this season.

“We want to ensure that the affected families have access to food and shelter. We have approached the Grain Marketing board (GMB) so that these families can access grains. We need more money to support these families,” Nkomo said.

 

 

Leave Comments

Top