Harare man faces US$16 000 stands' fraud rap

Michael Mashiri

A man, who defrauded US$16 670, after selling dubious stands to the complainants, has appeared in court.

Godwin Khulame, 29, of Renham Farm, appeared before magistrate Dennis Mangosi at Harare Magistrates’ Courts accused of fraud.

The complainants in this matter are Clementine Chengetai Nehumba, 34, Maybe Masaiti, 60, Fatima Ururu, 39 and Clive Masawi, 33.

The State, through prosecutor Thomas Chanakira, alleges that on August 2022, Khulame placed advertisements on Facebook and WhatsApp groups, claiming to sell serviced residential stands in Nyabira measuring 300 square meters.

The complainants saw the advertisements and contacted him.

Khulame went with the complainants to Nyabira where he showed them serviced stands and told them that they were for sale for US$10 200, each payable in US$ 1 000 deposit upfront and US$170 monthly instalments.

The complainants paid US$3 380, US$8 000, US$1 500 and US$3 790 respectively to the accused and they were given receipts.

It is alleged that Khulame closed his offices and became evasive.

The complainants later discovered that the land which was being sold by Khulame belonged to Devine Aid Trust Company.

They then visited DATCO seeking clarity on the ownership of the stands.

DATCO confirmed that they owned the stands and disassociated themselves from Khulame and his transactions and told the complainants that they had been duped.

The complainants allegedly lost US$16 670, leading to them filing a police report.

Khulame will appear in court on December 14 for bail ruling.

Leave Comments

Top