Beware the con...

As fraud cases dominate first week at Harare Magistrate Courts

Michael Mashiri

In a development that could suggest the trend for the new year, fraud cases have dominated the first week of 2024 at the Harare Magistrates’ Courts.

Other cases such as armed robbery, theft of motor vehicles, robbery and rape have also been dealt with at the same courts.

James Munetsi, 57, of Mbare was accused of defrauding the largest amount of US$100 000 after scamming his friend using fake magicians.

According to the State, Munetsi introduced his friend, Nyasha Masoka to fake magicians who claimed to multiply money.

He gave them US$100 000 on condition that they were going to multiply the money to US$300 000.

During that process, Munetsi's accomplices swapped the bundle of real money and replaced it with a similar one but containing pieces of paper without any money in it.

After a waiting for 24 hours, Masoka checked the money and discovered that he had been defrauded.

Munetsi will appear in court this Tuesday, for bail application.

Another man stands accused of stealingUS$24 000 after selling a no-existent stand to the complainant.

Collins Chitaka, 57, claimed he was selling a stand in Ruwa which was going for US$24 000 and the complainant became interested and paid the required money.

However, the complainant’s lawyers told him that the title deed was fake and he went to the Registrar of Deeds where they were told that change of ownership could not be effected due to the fake title deed.

As a result, the complainant lost the money to Chitaka.

Chitaka was ordered to appear on January 9, for bail application.

Another matter of fraud which was heard this week was of Mabvuku mother and son who were accused of defrauding more than US$12 000.

Annah Nyaude, 63, and Wersley Nyaude, 37, of Old Mabvuku, appeared before magistrate Dennis Mangosi facing fraud charges.

The two were denied bail and ordered to appear in January 8 for bail application.

Leave Comments

Top