Zim Now Writer
A 37-year-old woman from Zvimba District, Mashonaland West Province, appeared before the Chinhoyi Magistrates Court on Monday facing attempted murder charges.
According to the National Prosecuting Authority, the accused person allegedly prepared food laced with poison and gave it to her daughter to give to her peers at Matoranhimbe Primary School.
Six children at the school ate the food and suffered stomach complications.
The accused person was remanded in custody on June 20, for bail application.
On Sunday, Police spokesperson Commissioner Paul Nyathi said eight learners fell sick on Friday after eating rice and soup at the school.
Comm Nyathi said the learners started vomiting while complaining of stomach pains after they had consumed rice and soup which had been packed in a lunch box.
They were ferried to Murombedzi Rural Hospital for treatment.
“Investigations carried out by the police revealed that a fellow school pupil brought the lunch box which contained home-prepared food after being given two lunch boxes by her parent. The parent gave her instructions on how to share the food.”
Leave Comments